Thursday, January 7, 2010

If I had caught that part in the beginning....I might have been more interested

I'm currently reading Charles Dickens's Little Dorrit, as a somewhat favor to my fiance. Needless to say - if I had known what this book would entail - I would have pushed for a different Dickens.

I am currently up to Chapter 3 - and not enjoying this book at all. In a move of desperation - I looked up a synopsis of the novel....trust me, I had to know if this story was going anywhere. To my great surprise I completely missed a murder confession that is supposed to have taken place in the first chapter - what!

I am generally a very observant reader - but this little detail flew completely under my radar. If I had caught that part in the beginning....I might have been more interested in the novel. I still plan to keep going with this - I just hope the novel gets going soon!

Thus far, my personal commentary on Little Dorrit (who has yet to have made an appearance) is not so positive....and all I have to say is Could we not have left the Meagles family in jail....and therefore out of the 2nd and 3rd chapters?

Currently Reading:

The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir
Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens
The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir


1 comment:

Fiance said...

Give Dickens a fair chance. His novels often start slow, at least compared to modern novels, and he loves to start with a lot of ambiguity. He probably has to start that way because his novels are so complex. When you have tons and tons of characters, there is no easy way to introduce them all. I think he does a magical job of connecting all the characters together. His novels build slowly, but before you know it you're caught in an avalanche--a controlled avalanche. NO MORE READING THE NOVEL SYNPOSIS. His novels ussually end with great twists, and knowing what they are ahead of time would ruin the experience of reading it with your wonderful fiance and trying to guess what will happen.