Thursday, December 10, 2009

16th Century is my new world

Recently I've been entranced by all things Monarchy in the 16th Century. Granted, I've always had a bit of thing for the Tudor Dynasty....but that interest has now expanded to the Aragons, Castiles, and Habsburgs of Spain and France.

The flame that ignited my renewed interest has been - unashamedly - Philippa Gregory's Boleyn themed novels. I've also migrated into the world of historian Alison Weir - as evidenced by my reading The Six Wives of Henry VIII and the purchase of Queen Isabella: She-Wolf of France.

Prior to reading Gregory's novels, my favorite Tudor wife had been Catherine Parr. She was intelligent, well read, and in some ways a lady beyond her time. I think, it can be argued that Elizabeth I became the woman she was due in part to Catherine Parr.

And, like Henry VIII - I've ousted my former favorite for a new wife - Anne of Cleves. Though there is not a lot of historical data about this wife of Henry's - the fact that she survived and excelled in the most turbulent of Tudor times speaks to her credit. Thought by Henry to be remarkably dull and rather ugly - I believe she was rather clever and perhaps (until her divorce) was simply never allowed the opportunity to come into her own.

My other newest favorite - who like dear Anne seems to have a lack of biographical information available - is Queen Joanna of Castile....also knows an Juanna la loca. Widely known for her intelligence, gift of languages, and beauty - this woman of Castilian birth went just a bit mad. I am intrigued by her lack of reserve in public life, which can perhaps be attributed to her insanity (the degree of which is rather dubious considering her father had her incarcerated in order to take away her rights as ruler in favor of himself).

For the time being I plan on giving Joanna the benefit of the doubt concerning her insanity - viewing her actions in comparison to the betrayals she suffered from her father, husband, and son - I would venture to say that this woman was seriously pissed off. As to Anne - she will be my new favorite wife.....at least for the time being.


Currently Reading:

The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie! Thanks for letting me know about your blog. I will add you to my morning cup of tea reading list. Abby

Stephanie said...

Awesome! Glad you are rejoining the blogging world. Which Gregory novels did you read? I just listened to her newest _The Other Queen_ on CD and really liked it, about Mary Queen of Scots.

Run Lori Run said...

I recieved The Other Boleyne Girl as a gift but hadn't read it yet. Good to hear that it is worth it...